Car Loans | Car Finance > About Loans > Guides > CTP Green Slips Explained

CTP Green Slips Explained

Before you can register any vehicle in NSW you must buy a compulsory third party (CTP) personal injury insurance policy - a Green Slip. It may also be referred to as a CTP Green Slip, Greenslip Insurance, CTP and CTP Insurance.

CTP Green Slips provide compensation for people who are injured in a motor vehicle accident. They do not cover damage to property or vehicles.

Your greenslip is an insurance policy that provides a safety net (eg. income and medical benefits) for anyone injured in a motor vehicle accident in NSW. Under the new scheme, which started 1 December 2017, it doesn't matter who is at fault. A greenslip is a legal requirement for all motor vehicles registered in NSW, except trailers, which are covered by the towing vehicle.




What is CTP Green Slip Insurance?

CTP Green Slip Insurance

Compulsory Third Party Insurance (CTP), also known as a CTP Green Slip, is mandatory in NSW and must be purchased before you can register your vehicle.

It covers your liability, and the liability of anyone else who drives your vehicle, for injuries caused to others in a motor vehicle accident anywhere in Australia. It also provides you with access to medical expenses and weekly payments for lost income, for up to six months if you're injured and you're at fault.

The premiums collected for CTP Green Slips help people injured on our roads to receive the rehabilitation services and financial support they need to recover quickly.

How are Green Slip prices set?

In NSW, CTP insurance policies are sold in a competitive market, which is regulated by the State Insurance Regulatory Authority (SIRA).

Insurers set their own Green Slip prices (or premiums), which is why we want you to shop around. To get the best deal use SIRA's Green Slip Price Check on their website.

SIRA Green Slip Price Check

Insurers base their prices on total NSW claims data and on their own claims experience.

Risk factors include:

    • age of the driver or rider
    • the driver's or rider's driving record
    • the vehicle type
    • the age of the vehicle
    • where the vehicle is garaged

The Fund Levy and GST are always included.

The Fund Levy funds the Lifetime Care & Support Scheme, which pays for the lifetime treatment, rehabilitation and care of people who have been severely injured on NSW roads. It also pays for public hospital and ambulance services for anyone injured, as well as the administration costs of running the CTP Green Slip scheme.


Who is covered by the CTP Greenslip Scheme?

The following people are covered under your CTP insurance.

    • you, your passengers or pillion passengers
    • anyone else driving or riding your vehicle
    • the drivers, riders and passengers of other vehicles injured by your vehicle
    • other road users, including cyclists and pedestrians, injured by your vehicle.

If a person dies as a result of the accident, close relatives may also be able to claim some expenses.

Drivers who are charged with a serious driving offence in relation to the accident will not be able to claim these benefits.

Before you can register any vehicle in NSW you must buy a compulsory third party (CTP) personal injury insurance policy - a Green Slip. 

How to find the best price

You can buy a Green Slip directly from a licensed insurer or through a variety of agents and outlets.

There are six insurers licensed to provide Green Slips in NSW. Most offer quotes online or over the phone.

The Green Slip Price Check is an online tool to help you find an estimate of prices for the most common vehicle types and circumstances.

Go to to get the best price.

Green Slip Price Check

Once you have your quote, contact a CTP insurer to arrange your green slip.

Choose 6 months or 12 months cover (length of cover period must match the remaining period of your registration).


Calculate the LCT in the price of a car


Call SIRA's CTP Assist on 1300 656 919. They can help you make a claim and give you further information about the new CTP scheme.

  • As soon as possible: report the accident to the police.
  • Within 28 days: lodge a claim with the at-fault driver's insurer to access the full range of benefits. SIRA can help you with this.
  • Within 3 months: if you lodge a claim after 28 days but within 3 months, you will still be covered but may not receive weekly payments for all the lost income.

What you can claim

The new CTP scheme is focused on early support and recovery.

All injured people, regardless of fault (unless you are charged with a serious driving offence), will be able to claim up to 6 months of:

  • a percentage of your pre-injury weekly income if you need time off work to recover.
  • reasonable and necessary treatment and rehabilitation expenses
  • commercial attendant care if you need help around the home while you recover.

If you're not a fault and your injuries are more serious, you may be able to claim benefits beyond 6 months.

Those who have been severely injured may also be eligible for the Lifetime Care & Support Scheme.

For more information on benefits for injured people go to the SIRA website.

SIRA Website


Protect the things you love

Learn more about the various insurance products you may be offered when you shop for your next vehicle.

Low Rate Car Loans

An AFS car loan is the perfect way to finance your new or used car & the interest rate is fixed for the life of the loan. Learn more...

Best Car Loan Rates

Understand what factors are important to get the best car loan rate to drive your monthly loan repayments lower. You've got more control than you think!